The views and opinions presented in this blog do not represent the Peace Corps or any part of the U.S. Government. They are mine and mine alone.

Blog Archive

Saturday, August 21, 2010

Welcome to the Peace Corps

At the equator


The last several weeks have been pretty busy. We had our last 2 weeks of training before being sworn in as official Peace Corps Volunteer. The first of these 2 weeks we were still in Cayambe. We had some last minute lectures (mostly about safety and security for living abroad). We also had to take 4 exams to make sure we are ready to serve. After our exams, we had a few days off to pack, say goodbye to our host families and get any last minute tourist visits in the area done (we really didn’t have much time to travel while we were here). A couple of friends and I decided to stay in the area and hike the trails that we’d always talked about hiking but never had time to. The views were incredible!! I don’t think I’ll ever get used to how awesome the Andes are. We also went to the equator--it was really neat.




Quito

The last week of training we spent in Quito (the capital). We just had lectures on Peace Corps Policy and Procedures and last minute arrangements (we got official Ecuadorian IDs). We also got to take a tour of Quito. Because of the Spanish influence, the buildings here have a very strong colonial influence. For this reason, a lot of the areas of Quito are beautiful. It was a little bit of culture shock being in such a big city coming from the campo where I only had running water every other day and being stopped on my way home by a heard of sheep blocking the road. We went to the mall (with store such as Hollister, H&M, American Eagle and Payless), ate sushi and went to the movies (by the way Inception is an excellent movie). It was almost like being in the US.

On Wednesday, we had the swearing in ceremony at the Ambassador’s private residence—which was awesome! She lives in a giant white house with blue trim, a pool, Jacuzzi, sauna, tennis courts, a gourmet kitchen, and a gorgeous view of Volcan Cayambe . The Ambassador was there and officially presented us as Peace Corps Volunteers. Following the ceremony was the most delicious breakfast I’ve ever eaten: Bagels and cream cheese (you have no idea how delicious these are until you can’t eat them for 2 months). Fresh squeezed juices made with local fruits and fruit salad. We were all in heaven! That night we had a dance party at the hostel to celebrate. It was kind of like our last hurrah of American music and crazy dancing before we went off to our sites to be with exclusively Ecuadorians.


The view from my room

The next morning we set off to our sites bright and early. I arrived in Alausí around 3 o’clock in the afternoon. A few days before, I found out that the host family I was supposed to live with (that I had stayed with on my site visit) no longer had a room available to me, so I am actually living with a new family. The house is awesome! From what I can understand, I think it is actually somewhat of a boarding house. There are 3 stories. I believe the bottom two are occupied by boarders. We live on the top floor, which is actually mostly outside. Of course the rooms are inside and lock, but the hallway and courtyard are outside. Across the courtyard is the kitchen (which is huge) and family room (which are both inside). From the courtyard, you can see pretty much all of Alausí. I also have a picture window in my room from which I have a beautiful view of the mountains. The family themselves live on this floor too. The mom and dad have a room, the 23 year old son and his wife and their 18 month old daughter have a room, the 12 year old son has a room and I think the remaining room on the top floor also belongs to a boarder. The boarders aren’t really around much (at least that I’ve seen, but I’m not around much either). People are constantly going in and out of the kitchen so I don’t know who lives where and who is family or not. I eat with the family and spend time with them in the evenings. My host mom is an incredible cook. I’ve eaten so well since coming here. I’ve also worked it out with her so that I will cook sometimes for the family. I’m really excited to cook Mexican food for them! There is also an adorable puppy named Chiripa that lives in the courtyard. Whenever she is tired of being tormented by the 18 month old she comes to me and I carry her around for a little bit while she sleeps in my arms.

I’ve been working with my organization COCACH since I got here. I’ve been working with my counterpart Rosa to develop some projects for me. The most important thing, however, is the community assessment I have to do. I will spend pretty much the first 3 months in site going to the communities, talking with the presidents, padres de familia, and youth to see what the health needs are. I will also be assessing the organization COCACH to see how their organization runs, and how I can best support and expand their projects. The most important thing is that I spend the first three months integrating—basically meeting a ton of people and establishing trust so people don’t think I’m just some random gringa telling them what to do.

The last 3 days I’ve gone to the communities (there are 24 in total but I will only be working with 6). On a sunny day, the mountains where these communities reside are the most beautiful thing I’ve ever seen. There are tall, green mountains next to deep valleys with rivers and waterfalls in the bottom with a gentle breeze against a blue sky with puffy white clouds. It’s cold, but that’s only because the elevation is about 13,000 ft. You can barely see the road (if you can even call it that). It is just a small cut out on the side of a cliff. It’s almost like something out of a fairytale. It’s incredible to see the change when the weather turns sour. Somehow, when the clouds come, everything turns brown. The breeze turns into a frigid wind and the raindrops are like tiny daggers falling from the sky. No matter the weather, however, the people of these communities are out working the fields. I have so much respect for the people who live in these mountains. I’ve only been there during the day, and the temperatures were in the low 40s/upper 30s. I can’t imagine how cold it must be at night. These areas are also incredibly rural and remote. Some of the houses are made of straw and many of the communities don’t always have running water. I’ve already talked to several presidents of communities about the health needs of the communities.

I’m really excited to finally be at site. I’ve been meeting a lot of people over the last few days and learning a lot about the area. I’m starting to get some ideas for projects as well. I know that it won’t always be easy.

Also, I have a permanent address now, so let me know if you want to send me anything. Also, send me your addresses if you want a postcard or presents. I’m definitely down for a pen pal J

I hope all is well back home and good luck to all those starting new adventures (i.e. grad school, super senior year, travels, jobs, etc.)




No comments:

Post a Comment