The views and opinions presented in this blog do not represent the Peace Corps or any part of the U.S. Government. They are mine and mine alone.

Blog Archive

Friday, September 10, 2010

Settling in

Swearing in as an official PCV with the US Ambassador and the PC Ecuador Director
Things have been going really well with my organization over the last week. I've been going to the communities surveying all of the madres de familia about their health and that of their families. So far I've hit up three communities—only 8 more to go! Doing these surveys is really interesting. First of all, I have to ask the questions and fill out the survey for them because most of the mothers either cannot read or write at all or do so very poorly. Also, in the first community I went to, the women weren’t really interested in the survey so I only got 10 (the bare minimum that I need for each community). In the other two, however, the women were so excited to fill out my survey. I got way more than I needed (which is great). So far, the women say that they really like the workshops (which I find a little funny because they really don’t pay attention). They said they want to continue with them and learn more about women’s health and nutrition for their kids. Write now, the nutrition classes have very valuable information, but a lot of it is written in packets that the nutritionist hands out-which is a problem since they don’t read and write very well. I’ve kind of been brainstorming some ideas for workshops that don’t have anything written but are also interactive since their attention spans for listen to lectures is very low. Hopefully it will work out. Another interesting thing I’ve seen is that the infant mortality rate is huge in these communities. I guess it makes sense considering the lack of access to pre-natal care and a clean, healthy environment to give birth, but it is still a huge issue nonetheless. I’m reading through a book called “Healthy women healthy mothers” right now to get some tips on how to care for newborns in super rural areas to incorporate into the workshops.

Next week I’ve been invited to a nutrition conference in Quito for 4 days with the COCACH nutritionist (who is incidentally leaving the organization at the end of September and I’m pretty sure they want me to fill her role or at least part of it). They will be certifying us in family and maternal/child nutrition. I’m excited because even though I know a lot about nutrition, I’d like to learn more about applying it to the campo diet; for example, I can barely tell you what Machica is yet alone its nutritional value. I’m also excited because I will be staying with my host mom’s brother (who I met previously and invited me to stay with him and his family in Quito any time). Supposedly, they are super rich and have a sauna in there house. Normally, I’m not a fan of just sitting in a hot steamy room, but it has been so cold the last several days that that sounds glorious. He also has a son that is my age named Eric. He said he’d take me out and show me Quito, which I’m stoked for since we didn’t get to see much of the capital even though we spent more than a week there. Plus, seeing a place with a local is much different than seeing a place as a tourist.

Also, slowly but surely, I’m starting to settle in here. I’m really getting along with my host family. I’m thinking of making a big dinner for them soon—I really want Mexican so maybe I’ll make some homemade tortillas and make tacos. I’m also getting to know the people at COCACH on a personal level. The other weekend, we went to a party in a near by town as an office. We danced until 3 am! It was great. This weekend they’ve invited me to come to Karaoke with them in Riobamba. My counterpart Rosa has offered me her couch. Also, one of the guys that works here wants to take me to the lagunas of Ozogachi and la nariz del Diablo (normally you have to go by train, but the tracks are being repaired right now and he owns a camioneta (taxi truck) company). Whenever he can, he brings his 3 kids along with us to the communities. Fransisco is 10, Michelle is 8 and Santiago is 6. He wants me to teach them English, but I think he’s more excited about it than they are. So far they’ve learned the words sheep, donkey and cow.

I’m also making friends here in Alausi, mostly because people are starting to get used to the idea that I’m here to stay and not just passing through. Alausians are finally getting the courage to approach the tiny blonde girl walking around there town. My morning walk to work is filled with people shouting, “Good morning Miss Krista” (the only thing they know how to say in English). It was pretty funny, one day I heard two people discussing whether the correct way to address me was “Miss” or “Misses” (more for the words themselves not their connotations).

Now I’m off to Riobamba for a weekend of fun. I hope all is well back home!

No comments:

Post a Comment