The views and opinions presented in this blog do not represent the Peace Corps or any part of the U.S. Government. They are mine and mine alone.

Blog Archive

Wednesday, October 6, 2010

More from Alausi

Friends from Gender Conference

As usual I’ve been very busy. Shortly after my trip to Quito, I went to a conference held by the UN Population Fund on Gender and Sexuality. It was actually very interesting. We talked a lot about gender roles here in Ecuador and how they can very even with in the country. One of the lecturers talked about how Ecuadorian culture says that a woman is not complete without a man. I definitely agree with this. Usually when I first meet someone, one of the first questions people ask me is if I have a husband and children. When I tell them no, it is usually followed by, “Well why not?” Being 22 and female means I should be married and have at least one child. I hold my ground though. I simply tell them that at this point in my life I would rather travel and dedicate myself to my career. This still doesn’t calm everyone though. I can’t tell me how many little old ladies have told me, “You’d better find a husband soon, because the train leaves the station at 25 and you’re going to miss it!” I simply tell them that the train can leave, I prefer to walk anyway.

Me giving a taller on nutricionMe and my group of madres de familia in the community of Gulaghuayco

I’ve also been very busy with my community diagnostic. I’ve finally finished it and am starting to schedule talleres (workshops) with the communities. I will be giving talleres to 4 different communities. My first taller was last Tuesday. It went pretty well. 45 madres de familia showed up. Normally we cook something healthy to drive the lesson home, but they forgot to bring the gas, stove and pots so we didn’t cook this time. They also wanted to show me the sweaters, scarves and ponchos they had knit in previous classes. Over the next two years, I will be giving talleres on nutrition, family planning, women’s health, taking care of sick children, health rights, vaccination, water, sanitation and hygiene and whatever else the women want to learn about. Each community has 4 Madres Guias, which are basically the leaders of the group. I will also be working with them specifically so that they can eventually take over the talleres. The goal is that the Madres Guias continue to teach their fellow moms long after I’m gone.

A really cute kid wearing a poncho his mom knit for him in taller

I will also be starting talleres with the teenagers from the communities in sexual and reproductive health. I’m still trying to set up with the high schools on which days I will be working with their 9-12 graders. I will also be working with a group of Youth Leaders. Again, the goal is that these Youth Leaders will be able to continue working with their peers in sexual and reproductive health once I leaveThe Technical team from COCACH

Other than that, things are going really well. I continue to meet new people and I always seem to have plenty to do even when I’m not working. One of my favorite activities is making Humitas with my host family. Humitas are basically the same concept as tamales, just made a little different. You grind up corn and mix it with onions, spices and cheese then stuff it back into the husk to cook. You can make them “de sal” or “de dulce” which is basically salty or sweet. They are super delicious.

Me and my host mom making Humitas

For those who don’t know, we had a little scare with Police riots last week. All is well though and back to life as usual.

Hope all is well back home!


No comments:

Post a Comment