The views and opinions presented in this blog do not represent the Peace Corps or any part of the U.S. Government. They are mine and mine alone.

Blog Archive

Wednesday, October 19, 2011

And so it goes...


I realize it’s been a while since I’ve written an update.  There are two reasons for that: 1. I’ve been studying for the GRE (which I'm taking this Saturday). And 2. I really don’t know what to say.  I got to Alausi last August.  So this was my second august here, my second september and my second october.  That feeling of everything being new and surprising is gone.  I've settled into the natural cycle of things.  This is my everyday life now.  I’ve been here long enough now that everything has transitioned from being an adventurous hiatus from real life to actually being my real life. I guess before I used to think about what people were doing at home or what I might be doing if I were there.  But it’s been long enough now that I can’t even tell you what I would be doing if I were in the States and I’ve forgotten the daily things I used to do.  Or perhaps not “forgotten”, but I’ve become so far removed from them that they are no longer relevant.  Ecuador is my life now.  Climbing into the back of a pick-up with 12 other people to get to work at 6 am, darting off to climb some mountain or find some remote beach, visiting friends I’ve made here, committee meetings, long walks in the evening watching the sunset over the mountains and working with my kids and the different supporting institutions have all become my new daily routine.  The things I used to see as strange or inspiring or surprising have become the ordinary. And thus I really don’t feel like I have much to say.  Don’t get me wrong, I am still having a blast and everyday is an adventure.  It’s just that this adventure has become the norm—and I can’t tell you how awesome that is.  

So I decided for this post that I would show you a bunch of pictures.

 Working with 9th graders in La Silveria

Girls from my community youth group

"It's time to live your youth.  Prevent teenage pregnancy."
Balloon from an event for teenage pregnancy prevention 

Workshop with younger kids about getting to know our bodies.  You can't see it well in this picture, but in case you didn't know, your head is for doing headers.

Community youth group

 I gave this kid his first haircut. The first haircut is a big deal and I was honored to help.  As you can tell, he was not nearly as thrilled about it as I was.

Parade for International Youth Day

Work Buddies

 Making Tamales...they were so good!
Gorgeous secluded beach called Estero de Platano.  Also, they make the best ceviche ever there.

The view from my evening walk

My bff.  I can always count on her to help me clean my room and rat me out for not eating my soup.

 Medical controls checking kids for malnutrition and anemia
 
Health Fair.  We presented on HIV prevention.

 Learning how to play nutrition bingo to remember which foods are best for children under 5.

This is what I've been up to lately.  I think the remaining 9 months of my service will fly by (even faster than the first 15 months) just because I'm fully in the swing of things now.  

On an unrelated note, I'll be visiting Phoenix (and most likely Tucson) in December.  I think it will be nice to have a break and see everyone I haven't seen in forever.

Hope all is well!

No comments:

Post a Comment