The views and opinions presented in this blog do not represent the Peace Corps or any part of the U.S. Government. They are mine and mine alone.

Blog Archive

Monday, April 30, 2012

Coming to a close

As one of my friends pointed out (ahem…Jake Smith), I haven’t posted in a while.  In fact, I haven’t posted since I went to the US for Christmas (which was wonderful, by the way).  It was an interesting experience to be back.  It made me realize not only how much life back home has changed, but also how much I have as well…all mostly for the better I think.  
Work has been going well.  I am still very much involved with my kids in the community.  Right now we are doing a project I like to call “Somos parte de un Mundo para la Prevencion de VIH/SIDA” (We are part of a world for HIV/AIDS prevention).  I really wanted to do the World Map Project—a project that many PCVs will be familiar with.  Basically, you paint a map of the world on the wall.  An important project, I think, since many of my kids have asked me what part of the US Spain is in and what planet the US is on.  But everyone kept asking me, “What does that have to do with health? Don’t you work in health?”  I thought they had a point, so in addition to learning geography, I bring in pictures of what other PCVs are doing world wide with their youth groups (PC sends us regular updates) in HIV/AIDS prevention.  We also talk about people as citizens of the world and how we are all here on this earth together; therefore we should take care of our neighbors and fight negative stereotypes about people living with HIV/AIDS and help friends and family to protect themselves.  

Some of my kids with Dr. Pachacama
My youth group in Alausi is also doing well.  In fact, we are about to wrap up everything this month since they have end of school activities and finals coming up.  It’s been great working with the kids here.

The Whole Group
We made colorful fish out of recycled bottles



I also have been working with a community elementary school.  We’ve been doing recycling and hand washing stuff.  The kids are adorable, but have SO MUCH ENERGY!  I leave the community exhausted and then have to walk 3 hours to get to the nearest bus stop.  






My mom and her friend came last week to visit.  They went to the Galapagos for a week while I worked then we went to the amazon and to Mindo.  It was a great trip.  We played with monkeys, ate delicious food, stayed in a tree-house, played with butterflies and I even made them try tubing down the rapids.  Overall, a great trip.

Sunset on the Rio Napo
Our ride
I can’t believe that it is already May.  Time has flown by.  Since most of my projects will be ending at the end of the school year in June, I have put my official Close of Service date as July 27th 2012.  I won’t be coming home, though.  As one adventure comes to a close, another one begins.  I’m setting off on a journey through South America.  I plan to spend 6 months traveling to Colombia, passing through Ecuador to Peru on to Chile, Argentina and Uruguay then eventually arriving in Brazil to visit a family friend for a bit.  I plan to mostly stay in my tent and have all the supplies I need to cook for myself.  I already have a list of mountains I want to climb and backpacking circuits I want to explore.  From there, who knows where the wind will take me!  Perhaps grad school, perhaps a job, perhaps elsewhere.  All I know is that I am excited for the journey.

No comments:

Post a Comment